Re: [VAL] Kitchen

I'll put my "two cent" in about this subject.  We are still a long way from
putting anything in our 60 Land Yacht as we are still working on replacing
the floor in the front part of our trailer.  However, we have owned and
traveled with trailers for many years.  We actually lived full time for two
years in a 36' Alfa Gold with triple slides and 400' of living space, so I
have plenty of experience in dealing with the kitchen and since I hate
plastic drinking glasses, I have figured out how to travel with good wine
glasses and other breakable glassware.  The important thing is to pack them
into the space you have and leave no "wiggle" room for them to move.  I put
the wine glasses at the back of the cupboard and coffee mugs and smaller
glassware closer to the front.

As far as food items, I never stack things and always put breakable things
like bottled condiments and things in the back and put boxes like cereal and
rice, crackers, etc along the front edge of the cupboard so when you open
the door after traveling, the bottles don't come flying out at you.  The
other thing I do when traveling is to stuff the space with rolled up towels
or other soft stuff to completely fill the empty space so things can't shift
around during travel.  I also make sure that the doors are secured so they
cannot open during traveling.  My husband screwed a small screw under all
the bottom of the top cabinets and I put a bungee cord around the knob
connected and then put it down and hook it to the head of the screw under
the cabinet.

I learned everything I know the hard way.  I have cleaned up a lot of messes
in my travels.  When we started out traveling, I made a check list of
everything that needed to done prior to starting out on the trip and checked
it out very carefully.  After a while, everything got to be a habit and I
didn't need the list but at first it was really vital to use.

Hope my thoughts are helpful.  I can't wait to get back "on the road".  It's
been almost a year since we have been able to travel.

Ellen Rebitzke