RE: [VAL] Propane fireplace

Hi Rick,
The fan is only used to spread the hot air from the
heater into the space that you are heating; the
exhaust and air intake don't work on forced air.  I
have a direct-vent natural-gas water heater in my
house that works on the same principle.  The hot
exhaust rises through an inner pipe and the flame
draws oxygen through an outer pipe.
When I visited the marine store in Victoria there were
a few other brands of propane heaters on display that
worked on the same principle.  As I recall, some were
less expensive than the Dickinson, but not as
attractive.
Tom Dolan