Re: [VAL] Re: heater

I just removed the furnace from our '72 Trade Wind, and it too is a
simple pull out operation.  It's located inside under the galley sink.
As mentioned in another post, I first had to remove a few screws from
the outside vents and then a few more screws from inside.  It all slid
out easily.

I discovered that a sponge rubber seal on the combustion air intake had
been deformed probably from when it was new.  The result was a massive
invasion of mud daubers and a small bucket full of nests!  They had
built these things everywhere, but surprisingly the fan still operated
freely!  I'm just glad I removed the furnace to check it.  Everything
appeared to be working fine before getting it out and putting it on my
workbench.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can't always depend on a casual look
see with these things.  When you are working on one of these old but
wonderful aluminum museums, best to be sure than sorry.

The next step is to take it to my local furnace repair shop for a bench
test and careful inspection of the heat exchanger.

Dick & Rose Ann Harold
Noblesville, Indiana
1972 Airstream Trade Wind
WBCCI #8551