[VAL] Re: Heaters (was Heater Q from Russ)

Thanks Pete and Blair,

I knew I could get a feel for  the job by asking experience!  I will
admit, the old Water heater was no picnic, but not that hard.  Getting
the new one in.....well, by that time, I was not afraid or warped out
about cutting a minor bit of aluminum skin to enlarge the hole ever so
slightly to get the new one in. The new placement of the gas line was
the trickiest part and finding all the proper sizes and thread types.
But all is in to code, no leaks and works great.

I don't have individual shutoffs for gas under the belly, but I also
don't keep my tanks on the tongue yet. I am still restoring and fixing
the hold downs for them.  My furnance is located under the range,
streetside in basically the same cabinet with the sink, water pump,
newly installed pressure tank, and water tank access (there's another
whole subject!). Getting to it isn't that big o' deal.  Couple tight
spots getting to the rear of the unit, but I'm still slight of build (4
1/2 decades but my turn's coming) so I can just get in there yet.

I appreciate the opinions on the alternative heat sources, and was
thinking that if there was or had been a better way, Wally and someone
on the VAL would have discovered or used it by now.  But its always
worth floating an idea.  The radiant heat will also try and heat the
underbelly and outside (not only or so much rising as I thought, but
heat gravitates to cold, whereever it is).  So a layer of reflective
material or insulation would also have to be installed and that just
complicates it all!  So, furnace it probably will be.

Has anyone operated/tested one outside of the A/S?  I would think this
would be a real good idea to insure proper operation before all that
time putting it back.  Well, no matter, I'm going to try it.  But Blair,
you're right, MO is just a bit cool now (usually) to be working on these
things.  Its these MO winters that I want to make sure I have a working
furnance. Spring and Fall can be downright cold at times!

Thanks guys,

Russ W.
KC, MO
'70 Overlander