Re: [VAL] ? re Outside Water Hookup and Original Water Pump

Hi Ellen -

Others have responded to some of your other queries so I thought I
would respond to the one about water hookup.  The inlet under the
front window is for filling the tank that gets ran to the faucets
inside the trailer through the pump. If the pump isn't functioning,
you're not going to be able to build up pressure to get water to the
faucets. The water hose bib, usually on the streetside rear, is for
hooking up to a city water supply. This hookup will provide the
pressure from the city water supply and, although uses the same pipes
inside the trailer, is separate of the pump and fresh water tank. You
MUST use a water pressure regulator between the city supplied water
and your trailer connection. It will reduce the pressure and save
your trailer's plumbing. Get a white fresh water hose just for
hooking up to the city water and keep the regulator attached to the
hose, even while storing it.

Hooking up to city water is where you find out if your plumbing has
leaks. Before doing this, follow along every water pipe within your
trailer and make sure there aren't any places where the pipe just
stops or is not connected up. Check everywhere along all of the
lines, under the sinks, under the bed(s), inside cabinets, at the
water heater, at the pump, in the bathroom, etc. Everywhere!  These
will need to addressed before hooking up any water because these will
make a water mess big time. If everything looks to be in order
proceed with hooking up to city water supply.

With a regulator in place hook it up and make sure all of your
faucets in the trailer are closed. Turn the city water on only to a
low flow and check everywhere inside the trailer at every connection.
If you have any leaks turn off the water and repair any place water
leaked. Your trailer originally had copper plumbing for all of the
fresh water lines. If you have anything else, a PO had some fun with
plumbing and the whole system is suspect. Start from scratch and my
recommendation is to redo the whole set up. Your choice of plumbing
materials is up to you. I chose PEX with the quick connect fittings.
I torn out all of the original copper along with areas a PO used
rubber tubing and hose clamps. You don't want to use rubber for fresh
water lines, makes your water taste really bad. Its also prone to
cracks and dry rot.

Good luck and post any of your questions here, someone will step up
and lend an informative hand.

Brad
'59 Trade Wind
VAC #2699