[VAL] Winter Camping

    Hello all
    We returned home Sunday afternoon from a great weekend in North Georgia.
We camped at Sleepy Hallow campground in Sautee, 6 miles from Helen GA. This
time we were in Site #7 (this was our 2nd visit to Sleepy Hallow). This
turned out to be a great site since the area across from us by the stream
was open, no tent campers. Draw back was that everyone who entered the
campground passed by since this was along the entrance, but no big deal
because traffic was light, there was a huge family with about 10 campers but
they mostly stayed at their campsites.
    Weather was beautiful! Tuesday it snowed a little. Then warmed up some,
though the night was cold. Wednesday it warmed up then we took the kids over
by Vogel State Park, played in the snow some. Then we took Cooper Creek
road, which is a two path road about 18 miles over to Hwy 60. Yes I took our
'02 Suburban 4X4 thru there. It was beautiful, snow all over for most of the
way then about 10-12 miles it cleared up and the trees still had a lot of
fall foliage on them, leaves of many colors, Gods work is awesome! Once we
got on Hwy 60 it was a few miles over to Brasstown Bald. Lots of snow up
there. The kids had a blast, snowball fights for 3-4 hours, then we made a
huge (5') snowman. Not wanting to leave it, in true redneck fashion we made
a snow ramp to load it in the back of b-laws truck to take back to our
campsites. You should have seen the looks we got, both loading and unloading
it. Some of the other campers came by and wanted to know where all the snow
was, it was a blast, we also brought back a pretty good arsenal of
snowballs. Thursday was another beautiful day, the weather was pleasant and
we had Thanksgiving dinner outside. Friday, John (b-law) and I entertained
the kids while our wives and grandmother went shopping. We hiked all thru
the woods crossing streams picking up fools gold out of the water, then
after a 4 hours it was back to the camper and lunch. After lunch the kids
headed back over to the stream where of course they all ended up in it a few
times. After several clothes changes we made them stay away. Then they
decided to start making snowballs from the snowman, needless to say the
snowman didn't last much longer. Saturday we took them over to Blue Ridge to
ride the train, they had it decked out as the "Polar Express" Santa Claus
and all.
    Sunday was the return home, pretty good trip once I got back off the
Interstate, made good time on the backroads which is a lot more scenic. Once
you've been on the Interstate you've pretty much seen the whole country, but
the back roads are really where it's at. After parking the camper and
unloading the wet clothes, blowing out the water lines, I had to get about a
hundred pounds of Georgia red clay off the wife's burb. But a great trip, a
great time. It was also possibly our last in the Airstream. Guy in FL is
supposed to buy it once his insurance company pays off his trailer that was
totaled. But I probably stay up on the VAC list even if I'll be towing a
Forest River Rockwood 8317SS.
    Take care, God Bless all
Bobby