[VAL] Re: Univolt replacement

Dick,
I recently purchased the Intellipower 60A converter charger and am very
pleased with it. I bought it online, from www.bestconverter.com
Here is a link directly to the product page:
http://www.bestconverter.com/product.asp?itemid=14&catid=39
In my most humble opinion, Univolts are typically not worth repairing.
They are good, strong converters, but the charge process is crude,
often overcharging batteries.
Plus, they are noisy, which is especially annoying at night when
everything around you is quiet.
If you decide to call and get the Intellipower with the charge wizard,
tell them you'd like the Airstream discount. They gave me a discount as
a Airstreamforums.com member.
The site I mentioned above also has some 12V articles, that you might
find interesting.
You will need a fuse box of some sort, if your current fuse box is
built into the Univolt. There is a nice little fuse panel at
www.waytekwire.com
  ,which is the one I used to update the 12V system in my 1963
Overlander.  It's about $ 14.00, and uses automotive style fuses. It is
very easy to set up.
http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L0A99472E47010700BEA8022+M37+ENG

I hope these links work, and give you and alternative to work with.

Please check the furnace thoroughly. My 1971 Tradewind's furnace had
the heat exchangers rusted through in some areas, allowing combustion
by-products into the heated air. I discarded the furnace entirely, and
have used a catalytic heater during the day, and a electric space
heater at night.
I am in California, though, and never needed tank heating, which only
the furnace provides.

Best,

Uwe Salwender
Orange CA