Re: [VAL] Battery/charger problems

I'm looking for a new charger.  Vector (that you can find on Amazon.com)
makes several smart chargers.  Some of them also have a 24 hour charging
cycle that will de-sulphate your plates.  I almost bought one, but some user
opinion suggested that these chargers don't work on deep cycle batteries.
The Vector chargers use the new switching power supplies and are very
efficient and lite.  The VEC1088A is a 2/6/12 and only weighs in at 4.8 lbs.
A comparable Schumacher charger weighs in at around 20 lbs. with the old low
frequency transformer, and I have not heard anything about it having trouble
with deep cycle batteries.

It seems I'm running things at twelve volts around here from the trailer to
the electric fence.  My cheap charger is a real pain in the arse.  I've
heard at amazon the de-sulphation algorithm with a vector run twice has
cured a bad battery.  My only concern is the bad luck that one person had
with a deep cycle battery.  The unit never shut off.

These smart chargers are around $60, and could save me a lot of money on
batteries.

What would you all suggest in a good state of the art battery charger?  I
like the idea of the Vectors, has anyone used one?  You think maybe the
problem with deep cycle batteries was a one time thing?  What is the best
charger?  Certainly not the univolt.  :)  :)

Thanks