Re: [VAL] Battery/charger problems

Uwe, Gerald and others -

I finally got some time to return to my battery/Univolt problem.  To
refresh your memory, I have left the previous post below.

Okay, I checked the battery for water, and it was fine.  (The battery
is about two months old.)  I then put the battery in the AS and checked
it with a meter, nothing on inside.  The reading was 12.9 volts.  The
reading was taken directly off the battery posts.  The battery has not
been charged in at least two weeks and has been used occasionally
inside the AS for lights.

I went inside and removed all the fuses inside the Univolt.  Talk about
a hard place to work!  They all checked good.  Cleaned the ends of each
fuse and the holders, coated them with electrical goop.  Checked all
the screws on the binding posts.  Found two not tight and one to be
really in need of tightening.  It was the black lead to the battery
coming from the fuse holder on the floor.  Also, fuse holder screw #2
was stripped, so someone had doubled up that wire with holder #3.  That
fix will have to come later.

Next I plugged in the 120 line from the AS to a wall outlet in the
barn.  Took another reading.  Got 12.9 volts at the battery posts.  Got
the same off the side of the cable clamps too.  This indicated to me
that these connections should be okay.

Turned on one light inside (six 12-volt bulbs) and took another
reading.  This time is showed 11.57 volts.

Removed the 120 line cord from the AS.  Turned off the light inside.
Waited a few minutes and then took another reading at the battery.  It
showed 12.53 volts but went up to 12.54 within a few seconds and
continued to slowly rise.  Not connected to any outside power source.

I also got the same reading off the lines inside at the Univolt, the
battery cables.

I have not yet checked the line from the tow vehicle etc.

Dick & Rose Ann Harold
Noblesville, Indiana
WBCCI #8551