Re: [VAL] Powerstroke - static shock

    RL,

    This might not answer your friends question but might serve to help keep
him from getting zapped.

    When I was a little kid that same thing used to happen to my Dad when he
exited our 1950 Plymouth, especially in the dry summer months in SoCal.  It
drove him crazy and made him a nervous wreck anticipating each time he got
out.  Then one day I suggested that he maintain hand contact with the door
as he got out, end of problem.  He looked at me as if to say,"Good for you
son, now why didn't I think of that"?  This look I might add, coming from an
electrical engineer.  I remember to this day that it made my little
10-year-old chest swell with pride.

    Might your friend simply be generating his own static electricity when
he slides over the seat?  Suggest to him that he ground (and simultaneously
discharge) himself with a firm grip somewhere on the door frame as he
generates the static charge.  Hey, if it worked for my Dad, it might work
for him.

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica CA