[VAL] Powerstroke - static shock

I realize this is not a trailer question - but due to the extreme
popularity of the Powerstroke as a tow rig - I hope I can be extended
a little leeway on this.

My best buddy owns a 2002 F-350 crew-cab Powerstroke - and has this problem:

When he gets out of it - and is standing on the ground - to close the
door - when he touches the metal or the even the rubber weather strip
- he gets a static shock that he can actually see.  If he just touches
the plastic of the door handle it does not do it.

It does not always do it - but it's started again.

He took it to his Ford dealer recently - and they told him....they do
not know what is causing it.

Some how I don't feel comfortable with that answer....

Something is not right.  Anyone else had this problem - or have any ideas?

Thanks so much.

RL