[VAL] Re: Floor expoy

Dear Listers,

Replacing some subfloor in the rear bath area of my '70 27' International.

I would like to know or Identify the actual stuff recommended to apply
to (or in) moderately damaged subfloor to reharden it. I know its an
epoxy of some sort.  I have a few areas in the back I can safely salvage
and of course, an area by the front door.

Floor replacement is turning out to be one of those jobs that turns up
new twists each time you have about got it figured out.  Nothing real
difficult, just one more panel or bolt to remove or a piece of floor
that proves to be too far gone.

BTW - anyone see any problem with applying several (3 probably) coats of
polyurethane to the subfloor for sealing protection and to protect it
where I won't be able to cover it in a flooring material out of sight
under the bath, sink, etc?  Yes, marine would be nice, but NO ONE in the
KC area has any 3/4" marine till at least the end of the month.
Alternatively, I was going to use a 3/4" (I know, 23/32nd!)
underlayment, use wood preservative like CWF to seal the edges and
surfaces and then install.  After not finding a large enough vinyl
remnant, the wife and I thought of applying a few coats of urethane for
protection.  Its out of direct light and the 3 coats I applied to my
Pella patio door at least 7 years ago still looks great.  Reasons why I
shouldn't consider doing this?  Plus, I have the extra 32nd to work with
so thickness should not be a problem. Hmmm?

I've even been able to bang out a dent or two  from the inside.  Found a
welder to replace my angle irons and one rear floor u-channel under
trunk door that all were completely rusted away.  And having to have a
new waste tank pan fabricated.

I am ready to end the "demo-ing" and start the rebuilding next week.
All in all, except for the toilet, a good powerwashing will suffice for
the tub and sink and walls.  But I am, while its all out, replacing the
split and corroded copper to PEX.  Found a Sharkbite fittings dealer
less than a mile away.  Hope all that works as well as Sharkbite
claims!  Even found a new commode locally (Thetford) for lots less than
any dealer, web or not. So its working out.

I just hope I can have it ready by 9/11 to spend a week camping/working
in it!  Yikes, tempest fugit!

I look foward to your suggestions, comments, concerns and any DON"T DO!
from past experience.  I only want to do this once or at least not again
for 20-30 years!

TIA,

Russ Wojtkiewicz
1970 27' International Land Yacht