Re: [VAL] generators and heaters

Ann,

It's very good to be afraid of this stuff, the people who
are "tough and Brave" often end up dead.

The battery, any battery, is charged a little by driving,
and mostly by either being plugged into shore power ( boat
term) meaning a 20 or 30 am socket at home or at a CG, or
the generator.

A good deep cycle battery is designed to give steady power
over time, while a normal car battery is designed to give a
great shot to start the car and then be less useful until
recharged. Pete's and my Yellow top Optima is a deep cycle,
sealed battery that never needs any water or attention. When
coupled with an Intellipower converter and Charge Wizard (
that spoon feeds the battery just the right amount without
upsetting it) we get power  just off the battery.

But. The battery, even a good one, will not run an electric
heater . Also, the electric heater will not get hot air into
the crannies where your pipes live.

So, to use an electric heater, you will need to run the
generator constantly, or get feathers and dogs and heat up
again in the morning. ( I'm from Mass. so I distantly
remember winter...)

I put in a new furnace and a catalytic heater. Both run on
gas, both were professionally installed. The furnace uses a
little electricity that can be provided by the battery all
night according to Pete.

The Catalytic heater is a little scary to light the first
time, but it uses NO electricity and will be cosy in no time.

Daisy