Re: [VAL] holes in belly pan

> Thanks so much for all the advice and tips. I guess my husband and I
> will be learning a new skill. If you have anything more to say I won't
> be doing anything today. In my quaint part of the world there is no
> Sunday shopping. I also have a few questions:
>
> What is the file for - the sharp edges?

Aluminum work looks better with the sharp edges removed and cuts the
installer less. A single cut file, termed a mill bastard at the store is
the handiest. Turn it so the teeth slice along the edge, not so they are
parallel to the edge, for the nicest work.

>  What does 'radius' mean?

Radius means remove sharp corners. A hole with sharp corners will keep
on breaking from those sharp corners.
> Is
> there a specific solvent that won't damage the aluminum?

About the only "solvent" that will bother aluminum is concentrated lye.

I'd prefer Vulkem to GE silicone seal for the caulk of the patch.

> How far away
> from the edge of the patch should the rivets go in order not to crack
> the metal and how far apart should the rivets be? Do I have to use the
> "Olympic" rivets mentioned on the Airstreamdreams website or can I find
> other types that will look okay. (I realize that on the belly pan this
> would be less important)

Pop rivets were originally used underneath so they are still
appropriate.

> By the way, Daisy, I think the holes were caused by somebody using
> non-aluminum screws on the belly pan.

The vibration of travel can cause a hole to wear through the skin. If
you push the belly up you may find the head of a pop rivet. In those
cases you need to drill out the old rivet and apply a new one with a
larger washer around its head. You should make that washer (termed a
fender washer) of aluminum because the common hardware store fender
washers don't come in aluminum and you don't want different metals
touching outdoors. There are aluminum back up washers amongst the pop
rivets but they may not be big enough to patch a hole worn by a pop
rivet head.