RE: [VAL] how fast can we pull it?

I just returned from Rocky Mountain NP to Iowa City, towing the '66
Overlander.  We left Estes early last Saturday morning and while stopping
to gas up in Loveland I could feel how hot it was going to get.  We tried
to live without A/C in the 1987 GMC Vandura 2500 for a couple of hours
while I tried to hold it at about 70 MPH.

Across Nebraska it was impossible to go without A/C (I was holding off
because the compressor is noisy and "going") because it was in the
100's.  I could tell we wouldn't be camping anywhere along the way that day
and just cranked out about 72-75 MPH all the way back through Iowa.  Van
and trailer held up like champs.  It was probably a bit reckless, but it
was interstate all the way and I wasn't enjoying it much.  Gave me a pretty
good idea what the old van and trailer will do.  The trailer tires are old
bias ply.  I had thought about changing them before the trip, but I'll do
that before the next trip.

I don't exactly recommend this sort of behavior,  but it's nice to know the
vehicles have it in them.

Joel W.