RE: [VAL] how fast can we pull it?

Ann,

I'm not sure what you meant by a "cop mentality", but I'm a retired
police officer and I seldom tow any faster than 65, even if the speed
limit is 75 on an Interstate. On other roads I normally drive 5 to 10
mph under the speed limit. I am nearly always driving slower than the
speed limit because of the increased stopping distance when towing. As
far as how fast you can tow, Airstreams have been tested at speeds up
to or exceeding 95 or 100. They tow at speed just fine
aerodynamically, but that is not the problem with towing at high
speed. Braking, changing lanes and blowouts are the problems
associated with towing at high speeds. The rule of thumb for following
other vehicles while driving without a trailer is to be 2 seconds
behind the vehicle in front, but when towing extend that distance to 3
seconds. Road condition, sight distance, weather conditions, and
traffic always determine how fast you can drive or tow. Tires get
hotter the faster you tow, so the hotter the weather the slower you
should tow. The fastest I have ever towed my Airstream was at 85 for a
very short distance, but that was to avoid being run off the road by a
couple of semi's. The physical limitation to how fast is what your
trailer tires are rated at. If they are only rated to 85 mph then that
is the fastest you can go for a specified amount of time at a specific
temperature under ideal conditions without tire failure, but the load
in the trailer and other conditions lower that speed dramatically, and
keep in mind that many tires are only rated to 65 mph. That rating
should be printed on the casing of the tire. There are many other
factors that can come into play, so the general rule is to tow at a
'conservative' speed.

Forrest