Re: [VAL] Adaptability - retaining the Look and Feel

I won't comment more on this, as the value of the two-way communication
capability of CB used on-site as well as the Amateur radio also used
on-site, over a one-way-only medium has been well expressed already by
others.

> However, I do have FM in both the tow vehicle and
> the trailer.  FM would be a much easier Information dissemination means,
> just a little more coordination to ensure there is not a FM station in close
> proximinity to the Rally site for use (no interference).  Just a thought.  I
> could dial into the FM broadcast, while I am driving to and from the rally
> convention area, as well as while I am in my trailer wondering what's going
> on.

You have a decent enough idea here. It just isn't practical because of
the FCC laws regarding broadcast transmitters. You don't just toss a
million dollar signal on the air on some seemingly empty FM channel that
you select without proper official FCC frequency coordination and proper
FCC station licensure, not to mention licensure of the broadcast
engineer responsible for setting up and maintaining the transmitter to
federally specified standards, without facing steep fines, equipment
confiscation, and sometimes jail time. Doing commercial broadcasting is
really expensive, and very time consuming. I do realize though that you
may not have understood that this sort of an installation would be
needed to provide the coverage that (I think?) you desired.

The issue of low-power unlicensed part 15 devices on FM has already been
discussed. This would be impractical as far as coverage and not a usable
solution. You can't simulcast many of them them without an atomic
frequency standard reference at each transmitter, and you'd need many to
cover just one parking area, with no coverage "driving to and from" as
you hoped to have.

It's a good idea, it's just not practical to have wide-area FM coverage
unless time is purchased on an existing commercial radio station. Low
powered part 15 FM devices wouldn't be worth the trouble.

> I have to ask, in this day, why a CB?  I can see it for a Caraven, but
> a huge rally..I have to ask why?

It works, it can be used by anyone without need of a license, it's
cheap, it's easy to set up, it's two-way, it needs no third-party
infrastructure to work, and handheld as well as mobile and base units
are available.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060