Re: [VAL] Air conditioner question

Greetings Bebe!

Your coach is from the approximate time period when,
according to my understanding, Airstream began to pre-wire
all coaches for airconditioners -- in fact, my notes
indicate that the change was made in 1961 (possibly for the
1962 modl year).  The factory installed (inside the wall)
drain tube for condesate didn't become part of the factory
preparation package until later in the 1960s -- my notes
aren't clear on this issue as in one place I have 1965 and
another 1969 for the first year that the in-the-wall drain
tube was included as standard equipment in all coaches.  A
clue as to whether your coach was prepped at the factory for
air conditioning is to check you fuse (or breaker) panel for
an unused circuit position as well as an additional wire.

In either event, if your coach was prepped for air
conditioning at the factory, you will not find the wiring at
any of the existing roof vent openings.  Unlike other RV
manufacturers, Airstream did not utilize existing vent
openings for their air condtioners (at least through the
1970s) -- the correct air conditioner placement is
determined by measuring from the front main bow a certain
number of inches to the rear -- then the opening is cut for
the air conditioner through both panels of the roof -- the
coiled wire for the air conditioner should be found toward
the rear of that opening.  The easiest way to get the
correct placement information for your coach is to contact
Airstream direct.

On the vintage coaches that pre-dated the factory installed
in-the-wall condesate drain tubes, the drain tubes were
routed along the ceiling and walls next to the bulkhead
nearest the air condtioner.  I don't know whether the
original Armstrong Bay Breeze air conditioner on my '64
Overlander was a factory or dealer install (it was on the
coach when its original owners took delivery), but it had
the surface mounted drain tube for the condesate.

My regular Airstream dealer handled the replacement of my
Overlander's original Armstrong Bay Breeze air condtioner as
well as making the initial install of an air condtioner on
my Argosy Minuet -- the Minuet required the cutting of an
opening through both roof panels to accomplish the install.
I chose Colemna air conditioners for both coaches, and
neither utilizes a condesate drain pan.  Condesate has not
posed a problem with my Overlander, but it has caused
streaking on the Minuet.

Good luck with your air condtioner project!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)