Re: [VAL] installing rooftop air-conditioner for first time

Thanks for all your help, Tim.  Camping World would *order this extra part*
BUT I'd be hit with the shipping cost which was my call as to how fast it'd
be delivered.

I told then that Camping World really CAN'T HELP ANY AIRSTREAM OWNER who
wants to replace the original Dometic Penguin air-conditioner IF they refuse
to at least have ONE of the drain kits on hand.

Camping World store manager told me that it's "impossible to stock parts for
every job."

REALLY????

I was then informed by the manager, "We only get about 2 Airstream trailers
a year anyway."

So, that's it?  Camping World WANTS our money and our business and they are
celebrating being "in the RV parts business for 19 years!" going on 20 -
BUT - they refuse to carry THIS part that is NECESSARY for OUR Airstream
trailers and motorhomes?

The store manager told me that he'd order this drain pan kit from Dometic
"just for you" but at a price that they'd set even though they did NOT
"normally" carry (or care about selling either!).

Bottom line for now is this:  Camping World of Statesville, NC (brand-new
store) WILL order the drain pan kit - at the mere price of $100.00 PLUS but
of course being a President's Club member I'll get my little old 10%
discount.  So, that plastic pan is going to cost me over $90.00 and "just
for you this time" they agreed to pay the ground charges.

Originally, how fast that part came in was up to me including overnighting
it to me IF I would pay the freight.  Since Camping World will cough up the
cost now - they will ONLY bring it in by ground and it "might be here by
next Monday, maybe Tuesday late ... "  Isn't that special?

Now I have the pleasure of forcing Camping World to order a part for the job
on my Airstream as long as I pay them ADDITIONAL money to do this 50% OFF
installation that they advertise.

The big problem here is that they will NOT do my job UNLESS I pay extra for
the plastic pan.

I think paying Camping World over $90.00 plus tax for a part to do ANY
replacement job for my Airstream trailer is HIGHWAY ROBBERY at least and
outright thievery at worst.

I'm waiting to see what the Airstream dealer is going to quote me for the
part as I write this - maybe today sometime, I hope!

I'm appalled at the Camping World price for a "special order" price (so they
can install something THEY advertise to us RV'ers as a SALE) of over $90.00
plus tax for something that they NEED to carry all the time in their stock
at EVERY store.

When I informed the Camping World store manager that Airstream people DO
plenty of shopping in their stores he agreed - although he also stated that
they "only do a couple of Airstreams a year" in their shop.

Seems to me that maybe I need to find another place besides Camping World to
buy my RV products.  If you feel as I do then maybe you need to find a
better, more willing RV parts store that really cares about OUR needs.
Camping World is happy to take my money yet they are not willing to carry a
part at a REASONABLE price so they can do the job I'd pay them to do.

Something is "bad wrong" with this picture as they'd say around these parts.

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303