Re: [VAL] Re: wiring problems

Greetings Dan!

While I can't be of much help with some of your issues, your
description of tow vehicle problems sounds hauntingly
familiar.  Based on your description, it sounds like the
coach is "new-to-you", and it may have either the original
Airstream wiring pattern for the umbilical cord's Bargman
connector or some other varation that IS NOT compatible with
the current "industry standard" for wiring of the Bargman
connector (your tow vehicle is likely wired to this
standard, and is likely why you found that you were blowing
fuses).  Prior to the initial trip with both my '78 Argosy
and '64 Airstream, the Bargman connector on the coach had to
be wired to match the "industry standard" wiring on my tow
vehicles.  Attached at the bottom of this message are the
links to the "Vintage Airstrea" Bargman connector wiring
diagrams as well as the diagram for the "industry standard"
wiring pattern.  While the color coding mentioned for the
coach's matched on both of my coaches, it is still a good
idea to check the function of each of the coach's wires with
a battery before connecting to the terminals on the Bargman
connector and/or tow vehicle.  I strongly suspect that there
is a compatibility problem between the coach's charge,
ground, backup lights, and brake terminals with the
non-corresponding terminals on your tow vehicle.

(Note that it may be necessary to copy and paste the links
to your web browser if your e-mail program wraps the links
to multiple lines.)

The 1964-1965 Airstream Bargman connector wiring diagram can
be found at:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/7wayplug1964-65.pdf

The 1966-1981 Airstream Bargman connector wiring diagram can
be found at:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/7wayplug1966-81.pdf

The 1982-1984 and 1989-present Airstream Bargman connector
wiring diagram can be found at:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/7wayplug1982-84-1989-02.pdf

The 1985-1988 Airstream Bargman connector wiring diagram can
be found at:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/9wayplug1985-88.pdf

The "industry standard" wiring diagram for the Bargman
connector can be found at:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Another potential for problem that might cause your tow
vehicle to blow fuses is corrossion in either the coach end
or tow vehicle end of the Bargman connector -- I know that
corrossion was so bad in the tow vehicle end of one of my
Bargman connectors that it caused numerous problems blow
fuses in the brake/tail light circuits as well as a few of
the other circuits -- had similar problems with clearance
and tail lights on the coach when the corrossion was on the
coach end of the Bargman connector.

Depending upon the model of your brake controller, it may be
operating correctly.  On my Tekonsha Voyager, the green
pilot light indicates connection and it changes to various
shades of red/orange to indicate trailer brake application.
On the other hand, my Hayes-Lemmerz brake controller has a
red pilot light that only illuminates when the trailer
brakes are applied.  The name and model of your brake
controller would be of assistance in offering advice as to
whether what you are observing is a normal or abnormal
situation.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Airstream Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500
Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)