RE: [VAL] Vent pipes

Daisy,

I think the septic system is somewhat dependent on agitation. That is, after
the black tank has been dumped, then refilled with a gallon or so of fresh
water treated with whatever chemical or enzyme you use, followed by some
road travel so that the contents can slosh around to clean the tank. If
you've been set up for months without any agitation then you ought to use a
'wand' to spray the inside of the tank clean. Too little water in the system
will also cause problems, due to a 'pile' building up in the tank, and if
you are getting foul smell inside your rig then you likely do not have a
good seal between the base of the toilet and the holding tank. The 'bowl
ring' may be a combination of rubber & wax, or plastic and foam, but in any
case as it ages it becomes less pliable and after awhile the seal is
compromised somewhat due to shrinkage and/or compression. I believe the ring
should be replaced periodically. Also, the toilet flange bolts may have
backed off a bit, so try tightening them carefully - they should be snug,
but over tightening them can crack the base of the toilet, closet flange or
holding tank.

Forrest