Re: [VAL] Vent pipes

    Daisy and all,

    I'm offering this suggestion from a boating background where the boat is
always somewhat in motion and also where the waste is pumped into the
holding tank rather that being piled there, but I can not recommend Odorlos
brand head treatment highly enough for combating head odor.  The company
promotes its use in RV's and trailers as well as boats so I think it should
work for us as well.

    This stuff is nitrogen based and somehow that's the key to its
successful treatment with head odors that results in a 100% odor-free
environment aboard, not just in the head area but throughout the entire
trailer space.

    The company rep I spoke to years ago told me that Odorlos has been used
on land in the Netherlands since the early 1900's for treating human waste
and therefore has a successful track record dating back about a century.

    I happen to use the liquid on our boat but a crystal form is available
too.  Just one ounce per week per 10 gallon tank capacity with a slight
amount of water to follow is all that's needed for total odor control and
composting.  The tank can be flushed and rinsed at every pump out as long as
another ounce with a small amount of water is added.  It's dirt cheap and
easily available at any West Marine (page 537 in their 2005 catalog) or
other good chandler.  I understand that most RV suppliers carry it too.

    I've installed numerous complete head systems in two of my boats and
many for others and get consistent reports back from owners about how
miraculous Odorlos is.  I guarantee that if you use the stuff, ALL head odor
will be nothing but a bad memory.

    In one case, a friend had been masking his head odor with perfumed
alcohol or formaldehyde-based liquids for the entire previous year that he'd
owned and lived aboard his boat.  He said that the odor was so bad that he'd
long since stopped inviting guests aboard and that he was becoming concerned
about his own health breathing that fouled air.  I recommended Odorlos and
when I next saw him about two weeks later, he actually stopped me on the
sidewalk to report his success using it.  He told me that within 24 hours
the odor was almost gone and that well within a week it was nonexistent.

    It's nature friendly and has no masking perfumes in it at all.  It
simply eliminates all odor completely, once and for all.  Or should I say
once and for ever?

    You can contact the company to have them send you a sample bottle or
packet to see for yourself how well it works.  Here's how to reach them
http://www.odorlos.com.

    I have no economic interest or affiliation with them but am simply a
great booster of the product BECAUSE IT WORKS.......simply.

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica CA