[VAL] Back to steel tire stems and the why's and what-for

The LT decimates "Light Truck" tires doesn't it?  I've seen lots of utility
trailers using car and truck used tires before.  Would I run light truck
tires on my Airstream?  No, I would not.

You do say your tires have an "8-ply rating" but that does not mean there
are 8 plies but you knew that.  I suspect that the 8-ply rating is saying
that the tire sidewalls are pretty firm but that's about it.

Because you choose to use LT tires and the 45 psi works for you does not
mean it's the correct thing to do though.  LT is for Light Trucks, that is
what they were designed for.  I suspect that your trailer could put those LT
tires through some tests they would not experience if they were on a truck
instead of a trailer but I'm not a tire engineer either.

Running LT tires in the first place at 45 psi does not mean you are immune
to rapid heat build-up should the sidewall begin to flex due to low air
pressure.  This could happen and you'd never know it unless a slightly
smoking tire that was nearly flat was pointed out to you or you heard the
loud explosion when the pressure built up enough to wipe out the tire and
lots of sheet metal.

Excessive tire pressure will blow out rubber valve stems and a hot tire will
easily get over 65 psi.  At least with the steel valve stems you have a bit
of insurance; you won't blow out the valve stem and have rapid decompression
with resulting tire disintegration which in turns shreds the tire and your
aluminum trailer body.

I had all six tires and wheels of my 34' Excella Classic FK trailer removed
from the trailer, the 6 *rubber* valve stem replaced with steel ones that
use a nut to hold them in place, the tires balanced and remounted for
$70.00.  To me, that $70.00 is cheap insurance and it gives me peace of mind
knowing that I have greatly reduced the chances of a rapid decompression
with the resulting damage to my Airstream.

The tires on our Airstream are also rated as ST by the maker as Special
Trailer tires made to do the job.  I'm not out to change your mind about
what you do.  But for the new trailer owners of either vintage or new
Airstreams they need to know that there are other ways to do things.  Those
things you can do get down to a personal level, we can all choose for
ourselves  how we want to handle these situations.

I'd still advise people to replace rubber tire stem with steel tire stems
due to the built-in safety factor.  At least that's one less thing to worry
about and it is one thing we can control.  I'd hate to pay even the
deductible of the insurance cost because I tried to save a few bucks when I
personally knew better.  Like I said, it's a personal thing and I only
posted my personal view.  I'd still advise people to use materials made for
the job regardless for their own sake.

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303