Re: [VAL] 62 Tradewind toilet

Hi Bebe,

I have a '62 Tradewind as well.  If your toilet is like mine, the 'faucet' you
mention is probably the gate to the main supply to the valve which sits behind
the toilet seat.

Mine has a single step in front of the toilet and here's how it works when
it's working right:

Step on the step and press it all the way to the floor.  The flap valve opens
and everything in the bowl drops right into the black tank, directly
underneath.

Release the step and the flap closes, sealing off the bowl from the black tank
and things too fierce to mention.  When you release the step, the water valve
slowly closes (if everything is in order) and, as it does so, water is
introduced into the bowl, which acts as a secondary seal from the black pit.

On the valve assembly, you'll see a knurled screw .  It will adjust how much
water fills the bowl after the flush cycle.  I believe it's a tapered needle
valve, just like an idle mixture adjusting screw on a carburetor, and it
regulates air flow to a piston/cylinder, which mechanically opens and closes
the internal water valve.  The faster the air escapes from the cylinder, the
less water is delivered.

Sounds to me like your water valve is either stuck, or there's a little rock
or something keeping it open.

Hope that helps,

Mark in Modesto
'62 Tradewind