Re: [VAL] Wheels and tires for 1960 Traveler

Cindy,

I think your 1960 Traveler used the same size wheels and tires as our 1960 Pacer
(16 foot).    Our original wheels were in good shape but there was no spare, so
I bought an additional wheel and tire for that purpose.

The wheels are industry size 15X6JJ. Dexter makes (or sells) them and my local
Dexter distributor, Rim and Wheel Service, had them in stock.  The counter man
at Rim and Wheel said it was a fairly common size, and was used on late 50s GM
pickup trucks.  I wouldn't be surprised if your tire shop can get them for you.

Unfortunately, quality assurance in the aftermarket wheel business is not very
good. On the first wheel I bought the rim was welded to the hub cockeyed. (There
was a good inch of side-to-side runout at the tread diameter.) Rim and Wheel
Service exchanged it without any hassle.  (They'd seen the problem before.) The
second wheel was a lot better.

In those days Airstreams used 7.00-15 LT light truck tires and that size is
still avalable, although no longer common.  My local tire dealer had Firestone
Trans Rib 7.00-15 LT, Load Range D in stock, and that's what I had installed.
Radial tires are probably better, but I have had no problems with the Firestones
in two years now and about 8,000 miles.  That tire is rated for 2040 pounds load
at 60 PSI inflation.  Our Pacer probably weighs less than 2,500 pounds loaded so
that's darn near a two to one safety factor.

By all means have the tire dealer install the tires on the trailer, as Airstream
wheel wells are _tight_.  (Smaller than the Tire and Rim Manufacturer's
Association standards.)  For that matter, let them buy the wheels, if they are
willing to.  That way they can handle the problem of getting decent wheels!  It
took me several trips to the wheel distributor and the tire dealer to get the
job done.

Good luck!  Great to see another "little" Airstream on the road!

John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587
1960 Pacer
Dayton, Ohio  USA