[VAL] Patti R Re: Tankless Water Heater

Hi Patti,

As it is today my hot water takes just a bit of time to get to the upstairs
bathrooms and the lower story bathroom.  The kitchen and laundry room is
near the water heater site and it's hot -- fast -- there.

We get our water from a well on our property, in fact I've got 2 wells but
only one of them is wired to the house.  Our deep well is 500 feet deep, the
well pump puts out 21 gallons a minute and the water is only 34' below the
surface where the bedrock is.  We can never run our well dry, we've got that
much water on our property and I have never worried about it.  We actually
have a water column that measures 466' tall. We have the pump sitting in the
water column at 220', leaving us an additional 246' of depth to drop the
pump should the water table ever get low.

Our water, fresh out of the ground (and is it good tasting!) is at a
constant 62 degrees F, all year long.  The fresh water is stored in a tank
that holds 88 useful gallons and it's out in the attached garage in a shop
area all by itself.  The water tank stays cool, the water coming in is at 62
degrees F.

The tankless water heater I'm getting has the ability to heat water that is
"less than 50 degrees F" quickly, on their website you can see the charts on
how fast it heats so many gallons and at what temperature, etc.  I don't
expect to EVER run out of hot water, we haven't even done that with our A.
O. Smith water heater which had a 10-year warranty but it finally blew out
at almost 16 years.

So, taking all this into consideration (2 people and animals, etc.) I am
very much looking forward to this new system.

One things I won't worry about again is -- a water tank LEAKING in my home.
I never gave it that much thought UNTIL we had this tank leak less than 2
weeks AFTER we returned home from 4 weeks on the road.  I would have DIED if
this tank leaked for any part of those 4 weeks and we didn't know it!  Can
you IMAGINE the mess I'd have on my hands?  No more tanks IN my house for
me.

I am also considering a separate LP water heater for my unattached garage.
This would be a great way to get hot water where I need it, when I need it.
I want to build a dog grooming area for our dogs "out there" soon since I
have the room to do so.  My dogs love warm water, cold water makes them and
me shiver. ;)  My *portable LP gas hot water system* could be built on
something as simple as a  hand-truck.  Maybe I'll even give my Excursion the
luxury of a hot bath! ;))))

Tom