[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #185

Well, as brand new (2-week) owners of "The Dixie Tramper", a '62 Glove
rotter (missing our "T"), we are learning the hard way --  trial  and error with
lots of ERROR ! --  that we "believed" the former owners  much more than we
should have when they said their Globetrotter was completely  restored and ready
to go!  As antique car folks, we have long said that a  cosmetic restoration is
a fool's folly but when we saw pictures of that shiny  baby Airstream "right
up the road" (a mere 13 hours of hard driving in  sleet and snow by the way)
and in our price range,  we feel in love hook,  line & sinker & purchased it
without any tire kicking or looking into  the horse's mouth so to speak!  Now
home in our driveway, we are  discovering what is below the cosmetics and need
some advice, assistance,  assurance, or at least a "you can do it" from you
Airstream experts (who we hope  to meet in person if we ever get  on the road and
to rallies !)

My questions are simple:

1. Shower curtains -  where can you get the curtain hardware that is
required to slide along the rounded groove and also  a  pattern  so I can make one
that would be correct (the 1  that was in there was suspended from the ceiling
on plant  hooks).

2.  Where can you get those little slide things that hold  window curtains in
the grooves over the windows so I can make those too  (with everything else
we're replacing, we can't afford to have them made  by that nice guy in Florida
right now) ?  Not going to describe what  is there now but Mardi Gras beads
blowing in the breeze comes to  mind ?

My husband Ronnie's questions are more technical:

1.    Can you and/or how can  you replace the  rubber seals that go around
the outside of the windows -- ours are hard as a  rock and broken off in many
places & we are afraid that it could cause  leakage.

2.    What do you suggest for a leaking dump  valve.  Ours seems to not close
properly/completely.  Is there a  fairly easy fix ?

After shaking  your head and thinking, "one more idiot who doesn't  know what
they are doing",  please remember that everyone has to start  somewhere and
we are not about to give up and put the "Tramper"  on Ebay as someone suggested
yesterday.  In fact, if we can fix that  dump valve, we're going to take it
to Chickasha, Oklahoma, to a pre-war  auto swap meet on Wednesday.

My e-mail address is _ablutions@aol.com_ (mailto:ablutions@aol.com)  and
Ronnie's is _REMOLLERE@aol.com_ (mailto:REMOLLERE@aol.com)  if you need to contact
us  beyond this format.

In His Grip,