Re: [VAL] Re:Sticky walls

Daisy and others,

I have pondered the sticky walls thing long and hard after finding it in the
1966 Overlander and the 1962 Globe Trotter, which incidentally it scrubbed
off easily with Soft Scrub.

I recall it being in my grandparents trailer (not an airstream) which had
wood interior.  We scrubbed it off there as well.  I think it is a
by-product of gas heat, gas stoves and cooking.  H2O evaporates and caries
it to the wall surfaces where it condenses.  It carries along with it food
stuff and what ever else the inhabitants are doing creating "wall gravy".
It becomes sticky, occasionally attracts small gnats who in turn are stuck
to the surface creating layers, airsteam geology that continues to build and
create odor.  I have not observed a breakdown in the interior finish and
really don't think it is any type of reaction with the surface material.
For example you will find it up high but not in the lower areas next to the
floor, thus proving the condensation theory.  In the twelve years that we
have had the Overlander I have scrubbed it off three times.

Then in the rear of the trailer I scrubbed off diesel soot from our old
diesel suburban.  It seemed to filter in through the doors and vents and
collect in the rear of the trailer.  By the way the levels of carbon
monoxide build in the trailer during transit, and occasionally set off our
carbon monoxide detector, good reason not to haul your pets in the trailer.

Happy trails, GAS