Re: [VAL] Battery Charging or lack thereof

Blair,

I have two group 27 RV deep cycle batteries, one about three years old
and one a year old.  I pulled both of them out tonight, they are not
dry, the water is above the plates.  I have never had to add water in
the 2 1/2 years that we have had the trailer.  I don't think that the
problem is overcharging, I think that the problem is not charging.  At
Uwe's suggestion, in a phone conversation with him, I am charging both
batteries, now at 12.5V, I will then reinstall them, check the voltage,
the plug in and recheck the voltage.  Uwe thinks that the voltage should
be 14+ with the trailer plugged in, if not then the univolt is not
working on charge circuit.  Any comments?

Remember, I have a 1979 trailer.  Were there changes and improvements to
the univolts from the time they were introduced in the 60's to the age
of my trailer and beyond?  Also, when was the univolt discontinued and
what replaced it?

I want to know the reason for the lack of charging before I start
replacing parts just to replace parts.

Inept in electrical, ept in mechanical.

Bill Kerfoot
WBCCI/VAC #5223