Re: [VAL] Furnace fixed!

Way to go, Brian.  Did you have the heat exchanger checked out while the
furnace is out?  I don't know if there is a good reliable layman's
technique for finding leaks; maybe putting a bright light inside, with
the furnace in a darkened room, or some such??  Odds are, with a furnace
that old...they all will eventually fail, and the question is, how do
you discover that it's failed?  Hence the recent thread on CO
detectors--but that's not the effective early warning system you want.

Even though I generally am comfortable and capable working on stuff like
furnaces, I tend to gravitate to paying someone who does it all the
time, just to be on the safe side.  Although last summer, when I pulled
out my furnace when rebuilding the galley, I took the furnace in to a
local "reputable" furnace shop to give it a good cleaning and PM; and
upon picking it up and paying the $30 fee, discovered two large wasp
nests still inside the air intake!  So much for trusting the experts--at
least "those" experts.

John