[VAL] Aluminum wire for 12vdc?

My 1967, Ohio-built Overlander has aluminum wire for 120 vac service, and
copper wire for 12 vdc service.  Recently, a friend with two, 1967,
California-built Airstreams provided proof that his trailers are wired the
opposite way i.e. he has aluminum wire for 12 vdc service.

His Airstreams strike me as a factory goof because the gauge of aluminum
wire used does not appear appropriate for low voltage, high current use.
Plus, if it was appropriate, why didn't the factory just wire the entire
coach with aluminum wire?

Anyone care to offer insight as to which plant installed the wiring
correctly in 1967?

Thanks,
Tom
http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirstreamIndex.htm