[VAL] Flag Display

Bobby,
That's a very interesting observation. As I understand it, there are only
two places where the American flag is displayed with the Union to the right
(of the viewer). On the left-hand side of military aircraft (as viewed from
the front) and on the right sleeve of military uniforms. I was told that it
was used in this way because of the fact that (on aircraft) the flag would
naturally be blown in that direction as the aircraft flew, and on military
uniforms it would be blown in that direction as the soldier charged the
enemy. (It would only be blown forward if the soldier was retreating.)

I found this on a military flag etiquette website: "-The US Code does not
address the positioning of the flag patch. It is appropriate to wear an
American flag patch on the left or right sleeve. When worn on the left
sleeve, the union would appear towards the front and the stripes would run
horizontally toward the back. When worn on the right sleeve, it is
considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the
observers right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the
wearer moves forward."

I thought that the right-sleeve-reversed-flag only applied to the military.
However, there's a lot of debate about whether the Boy Scouts originated as
a quasi-military organization.

On a completely different subject, why is the VAC a part of the WBCCI? I
know it started out that way, but with the growing size of the VAC and the
country's growing interest in vintage Airstreams (and the constant
complaints about the WBCCI) why doesn't the VAC separate itself into an
independent body?
What exactly does the WBCCI do for the VAC that the VAC couldn't do for
itself?

Brian Jenkins