Re: [VAL] Polish

The Airstream trailers of my vintage do not have an anodized finish.
For the original buffing on the trailer after i removed the clear coat I used
I think either Rolite or the Nuvite And was nor realy impressed with the
results.
I knew as soon as I mentioned 3M some one was going to jump in with both feet.
there are many grades of 3M coumpounds these are the numbers I used.the
coatch was not severly oxidized so the 1st application was Imperial Microfinishing
Coumpound Liquid. spplied with an indusreral high speed buffer one that I
could lean on while it did its work.Before anyone tells me about the danger of
overheating the skin and burnishing the finish I know you have to keep it moving.
The follow up ro remove the swerals I used Imperal Machine Glaze applied with
an airpowered dual action air sander with a bonnet over the sanding pad.
As far as clean up all it took was a wipe down with a towel.
in aeras where there were secear scraches and rub marks I sanded them with
800  paper in a D/A sander and 1st buffed with 3M super Dury Rubbing Coumpound
Befor proceeding with the above mentioned process.
As far as polishing in cold weather I know nothing about that when I
mentioned cooler weather here in Florida I was refering to temp in the 60s it is no
fun to be in the dunlight buffing when the temp is in the 80s-90s.
The main reason I use 3M products is I can run down to the local auto paint
store and pick them up.and I used them many years in the boat industry and in
my finishing shop.
In my wildest dreamd I could not visulise me buffing a trailer by hand it
should realy build musles and a day of buffing should tend to take ones mind off
romance. meby the old Tom Sawyer trick might work.
I am not telling any one how to do the job but what works for me to my
satisfaction but what do I know.
Jim Smith