RE: [VAL] Kevin, how many hours a day?

Greetings Paul!

Once summer arrives, I have few time constraints so generally take my time.
I generally try to stick to a schedule of no more than six to seven travel
hours which equates to something around 250 to 300 mile days.  My maximum
towing speed with either the new or vintage tow vehicle is 55 MPH.  I often
travel a few more hours with the Suburban but try to be sure that I am
located for the evening an hour or two before sunset when towing with the
Cadillac.

I have been using Rand McNally TripMaker to plan my trips.  It is very
flexible and allows you to set parameters such as average travel speed for
each of four road classes, travel start and stop times, routing preferences
(shortest, quickest, scenic), travel dates, and stopovers.  There are
plug-ins for campgrounds, hotels/motels that will point out nearby lodging
to the indicated stopping point for a travel day.  Over the years, I have
found this program to be quite helpful in planning my excursions.

Particularly when traveling in hot weather, I find that it helps to plan
slightly longer stops (30 minutes - - a little more or less) when towing
with the Cadillac as its exhaust tends to superheat the firewall and
starter.  I am not a good morning person so I usually try to drive the first
three hours without a stop (about the maximum that I can go on one tank of
gas), and then stop for lunch and fuel allowing the Cadillac a full hour or
a little more to cool.  I find that the afternoon is when I want a mid-day
break so will drive about 90 minutes and try to find a place for a 30 minute
rest break.  Generally, I find that the Cadillac doesn't really greatly
impact my normal travel schedule other than in extremely hot weather when it
has demonstrated the need for longer rest periods when the motor is shut
down.

Good luck with your plans!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359