[VAL] Airstream Marketing

Hello All,

I'm a creative director and have been designing marketing campaigns for
about twenty-five years. How Tim Champ (or any marketing person) could
blandly alienate such a large group of their company's enthusiasts is beyond
me (although the attitude goes hand-in-hand with the mislabeled factory
display, etc.). Ford's new Mustang is a perfect example of using good will
generated by an earlier icon to build interest and excitement in the
company's latest offering. Car makers everywhere know that ad campaigns
built on great products of the past sell new product today. Airstream's
history is a selling point that no other modern RV has...and it's free. It
is the height of marketing ignorance to discard all of Wally Byam's legend
and lore, much less the good will of Airstream vintage enthusiasts worldwide
  in order to market today's Airstreams with about flair as kitchen
appliances. This is what happens when people who love the product leave the
company and are replaced by people who love charts and graphs.

Brian Jenkins