[VAL] What type of battery should I get?

Hi All,

I am about to purchase a new deep cycle battery for my 74 A/S with the
original Univolt. At this time I can not replace the converter (can't get to
it) with one that has smart charging capabilities. I am aware of the problem
with the Univolt over charging the battery and cooking out the electrolyte, in
a wet cell. Can someone tell me if installing a glass-matt or gel-cell battery
will overcome this problem or will the over charging just kill off the
battery?  Is one type of battery better than another under these
circumstance???

Thanks,
Noah

PS I had no luck with archives.