Re: [VAL] Pre 65 thetfold valve

Hi Rics:

    Been there, dumped that.

    Like Shari, I also have a 1964 19' Globe Trotter with the same
obsolete Thetford dump valve you both have.  I made a simple extension
attachment that solves the problem.

    At Home Depot, in the pipe repair section of the plumbing
department, I bought a ~4" long section of flexible rubber repair pipe
that has a 3-1/2" inside diameter (ID) and a bulge in the centermost 2
inches, like a raised donut.  These rubber pipe sections are used for
temporary repairs to broken cast iron pipes, among other things.  They
have a 3/4" or so bordered area at each end for very large hose clamps
that tighten the rubber repair pipe to the broken pipe it slides over.

     Go to the service department of a large RV dealer and ask to look
through their selection of plastic pipe parts and sections they use to
repair various RV plumbing problems.  You will likely not see what I
describe below on the retail shelves of RV dealers.  You got to get into
the "back room" to find them.

    Buy the shortest, tightest, smallest section of hard black plastic
pipe that has a 90 degree sweep ell (continuous curve 90 degree bend)
and a 3-1/2" outside diameter (OD) and a 3" inside diameter.  One end
will be plain and the other end and have a raised collar into which
other hard black plastic pipe section is inserted and cemented in place.

    Buy a short straight section of black hard plastic pipe that has 4
exterior lugs for connecting a modern sewer hose.  It too will have a
3-1/2" OD and 3" ID.  We'll cut this later.

    Put one end of the 4" long rubber repair pipe connector over your
old thetford drain coming from the black water tank.  The raised tapered
plastic "keepers" on the old Thetford drain pipe will fit inside the
raised donut on the rubber repair pipe when it's properly installed.
There is enough room forward of the raised donut, on the tank side, for
the large pipe clamp, which you tighten securely.

   Slip the plain end of the hard plastic 90 degree ell into the rubber
repair section.  It should go in far enough in so the collar end can be
swung down through the bottom door in your rear bumper storage area and
come out at a 45 degree angle towards the street side.  Insert the new
hard black plastic end fitting into the ell and measure how much of the
straight section of the end fitting you will have to cut off to allow it
to swing up through the bottom door and into the rear bumper for storage
when traveling.  Cut it, dry fit it, and make sure everything clears and
fits.  Only after you have double checked all cuts and measurements,
cement the cut-off end of the 4 tabbed end fitting into the collar of
the sweep ell.

    This ell with as new end fitting is stored inside your rear bumper
storage area for travel.  To use, loosen the rearmost hose clamp on the
rubber section, swing down the hard plastic sweep ell toward the sewer
fitting in the ground, and retighten the hose clamp.  Attach the sewer
hose to the end fitting and you're good to go.

    I'll take some photos and upload them later today so you can better
see what I'm talking about.   It's hard to describe in words.

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO.
WBCCI #1510