[VAL] Introduction and (surprise) a question!

Dear Vintage Airstreamers,

    I just joined the list this evening.  By way of introduction...

    My girlfriend and I started trailering around the mid seventies
    towing a "Brand X" 13' trailer (not a pop-up) behind her new 1974
    FIAT X-1/9 sports car, and later with her new 1976 VW Rabbit.  In
    1977 my parents traded in their 1960's Airstream (that they had
    purchased used from a 'hippy couple' who had been living in it
    full time) for a shiny new 1977 31' footer w/ center bath
    (I31B7Jxxxx).  (No it's not an Excella.  They wanted one of those,
    but...)

    After a few years my girlfriend and I stopped trailering for
    various reasons but my parents put many miles on the Airstream,
    going cross country every winter from New Hampshire to California
    to boondock in the high desert.  One of the modifications my
    father made to his second 'burb was the installation of a fresh
    water tank with a pump, plumbed to a spigot outside of the vehicle
    right under the rear bumper.  This arrangement would allow him to go
    into town to fetch water and then pump it into the trailer back at
    the campsite.

    Unfortunately my father has not felt up to traveling for several
    years now and the Airstream has been sitting by his garage,
    moldering for at least 5 years, probably longer.  He has
    encouraged me to take the trailer, but I can see that it already
    needs a lot of work from just sitting.  There are mouse droppings
    all over the floor and on the couch, and the walls appeared to be
    stained, probably with mold.  The clearcoat is peeling and the
    plastic covers on the A/C are so bleached, they look like they
    would shatter if you just tapped them.  I also do not know if it
    has developed any leaks.

    It will probably be another 5 years before I can reach a point in
    my personal affairs where I can seriously begin to turn my
    attention to working on it.  But what I would like to do ASAP is
    arrest any further deterioration until then.  Since my father has
    a large lot, I am planning on having a concrete pad poured for the
    the trailer (it is currently sitting on dirt) and will be looking
    into the cost of a metal prefab building to put on that pad.  The
    goal is to get the trailer out of the weather, to be able to run a
    dehumidifier inside the trailer, and have a clean and dry area
    with electricity for working on the trailer as time permits.

    My question is what would be your recommendations on the size of
    the pad and building.  I tried looking up the trailer's dimensions
    on the web but had no luck.  I can't find the owner's manual and
    the service manual does not provide specifications as to size and
    weight.  In just casually thinking about this I would guesstimate
    that I should allow about two feet of clear space on either side
    of the trailer, and give myself a several extra feet in length to
    allow for tools and storage in the back of the building.  I should
    probably also allow at least 2-3 feet above the trailer for
    working on the roof.

    If anybody has gone down this road I'd appreciate hearing about
    what has worked for you and what you would do differently if you
    had to do it again.

    Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

                                                         ...BC