Re: [VAL] Introduction and (surprise) a question!

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the vintage group.

I had a garage built for us by Morton Buildings www.mortonbuildings.com and
they did a fantastic job from start to finish and I believe they are the
best in the business at what they do.  Morton Buildings has been around for
a long time, they just had their 100th anniversary last year if I'm not
mistaken.  Morton is out of Illinois and they have sales centers all over
the USA, they are some of the nicest people I've ever had the opportunity of
working with and their fit and finish of their buildings are the best
around.

Our largest Airstream (we have 2 of them) is 34' and this was the size we
wanted to house along with our other Airstream of 29'.  In the back of my
mind I was thinking that it would really be nice if when we returned home
and maybe the weather was bad and/or for security, how nice it would be just
to be able to pull in with the tow vehicle and the trailer, get out, lock up
the building and go in the house.  So this is what we did.

Another thing we thought about was later on down the road we might want an
RV like a motorhome so we should design in NOW for that possibility with
taller, wider doors.  This decision also gave us taller exterior walls to
support those taller, wider doors.

In the end we built our Morton Building with these dimensions:  42' wide by
60' long.  On the 42' end or front street-side of our building we included a
set of sliding "aluma-steel" doors that open up to 18' wide and have an
overhead clearance of 14'.  This would allow us to pull the tow vehicle and
34' Airstream straight in and then we could lock the doors behind us.

On the 60' side of our building we added another set of the "aluma-steel"
sliding doors that open to a width of 22.5' and they have a 12' overhead
clearance.  The next door we added was a steel, 9-pane walk-through door
which is how we enter the building when it's locked up.

In our case with Morton Buildings we had the building put up FIRST, and then
the concrete floor was poured.  This was the way to go and you might give
that idea lots of thought before you put up a pad first and look for
building on top of it next.  The reason?  IF you put the building ON the pad
you will need a lot MORE concrete to support those side posts.  Our posts
are about 5' into the ground, they are laminated 2x6's and 2x8's making for
really BIG, sturdy posts.  Concrete was added to the post footings after the
holes were augured out to depths of about 5'.  With the concrete poured
AFTER the posts and building was put up we eliminated a huge cost of extra
concrete that would have been needed as footers for buildings of our size
and HEIGHT; the higher you go the stronger the footers have to be except if
you do it like we did.  As it is the posts are guaranteed for 50 years AND
we had the entire property where the building sits treated for termites
BEFORE the concrete was poured.  We really don't anticipate any problems
with the wood.

Under our concrete floor I added 4" of gravel so that NO moisture could ever
'wick up' through the concrete floor.  On top of 4" of gravel that was
packed down we added heavy plastic sheeting, then the concrete wire
reinforcement and only then was the 4" of concrete flooring added.

When we installed the concrete flooring I had the concrete mixing company
add strengthener to the concrete so that we now have a base that will
support 3500 p.s.i. and I will never worry about our floor being unable to
support any weight I will put on it.

Morton Buildings will also give you up to a brand new building IF it should
be destroyed by weather in the first 5 years -- they are really a great
company.  Any damage due to weather will be fixed for free during the first
5 years and I don't know of any company that will do that for you.  Their
warranty and guarantees are the best in the business but they are not the
most expensive either.  I did my homework and looked into lots of building
companies before settling with Morton Buildings.

With the 12' side walls and the Morton designed curved roof trusses we have
14' of overhead clearance down the length of the building.  This not only
will be good for a motorhome or bus in the future but it also gives us
enough clearance to build overhead storage platforms and stairs should we
decide to do so later on.

I would suggest to you that you totally fumigate this older Airstream
regardless of how much longer it stays out in the elements.  Rodents are so
destructive to any trailer and their urine and feces will rot even the
wiring insulation and worse.  I suspect that once you fumigate the fun will
begin when you finally get to work on this trailer.  I would also advise you
to put out plenty of mice bait and sticky traps for the mice that will STILL
find a way into your garage and the trailer is locked up, they are that bad!
Bad as in bad company.

If I can answer any more questions for you I'd be happy to help out if you'd
send me a note to thomm@carolina.rr.com and I'll get back in touch with you.

Good luck!

Tom
WBCCI 5303