RE: [VAL] Hitch problems

David:

         The cracking receivers have been going on far longer than the last
couple of years, and they did NOT first occur with a Hensley
hitch.  Indeed, several percent (I forget the exact number) of trailer
hitches at the 2000 Florida State rally were found (by DOT, who inspected
all hitch receivers free) to have either cracked welds or incipient cracks,
or loose bolts.
         GM is a major offender, although Ford and Dodge had their
problems, too; the difference seems to be that Ford and Dodge have moved to
fix the problems...GM may have done so, but if so, it was more slowly and
rather recently.
         Doug Showker is the "Safety Ambassador" for Reese, and he has
encountered a large number of OEM receivers with these problems.  Jim Moore
has been doing safety inspections for the Ga Unit (owns Top O'Georgia
Airstream park) for several years, and found several badly cracked
receivers at the Ga State rally, some loose bolts, and a number of
under-rated hitch balls.  One receiver he saw was just hanging on by about
one inch of metal - ready for a disaster.
         This is a widespread problem, and I repeat, it was not initially
found on receivers of tow-ers using Hensley hitches.  It does, as you say,
need wider attention.  It's easy to inspect the receiver before starting
out.  Also, torquing the bolts to specs (I think around 75-80 in-lb) is an
easy job.  And, the rating on the hitch ball is stamped right on the top;
should be 10,000 lb, IIRC, for a class 4 hitch.

- Dick
(5368)