RE: [VAL] Hitch problems

Sue,
Just curious if the vehicle involved was a GM product.  There have been
quite a few reports of welds cracking over the past couple of years on their
factory receivers.  We just returned from the CO VAC rally and while there,
I was visiting with a friend who had 2, GM factory receivers crack at the
welds (towing 31' w slideout) over the last year.  He told me that when the
second receiver started failing (ie he spotted rust in the weld areas), he
pulled it and took it to a welding shop who first inspected it.  They told
him that basically ALL the welds were cold (inadequate current and therefore
heat used during welding process). They also noted that there were only
welds on one side of several joints that should have been welded on both
sides.  They totally rewelded all the receiver joints, fixing all the
deficiencies and so far, no more issues.  I personally know of two others
that have had failures on GM factory receivers, so I don't think this is an
isolated situation.

I am glad to hear someone else sounding the alert to be on the watch for
receiver issues, factory or third party.  Since the cracking receiver welds
first appear with Hensley Arrow owners (since then, it has also been
detected on Reese DC users) and I also tow with a Hensley, I have been
checking my receiver about once a month.  Fortunately, my Drawtite class 4
seems to be rock solid.  Also, all the mounting bolts between the frame and
the receiver should be checked for proper torque as anything mechanical can
loosen over time and that can start a chain of events that may have a less
than happy ending.

David Tidmore