[VAL] Hitch problems

Just a note of warning about checking your receiver on a regular basis.
We just had a customer come in to pick up their trailer.
The receiver on their truck was a factory installed one not after market.
In checking the receiver and hitch, as he will routinely do just to make
sure all is OK, the man that does our trailer hitches found that the welds
of the cross piece on either side where it attaches to the side brackets
that bolt to the frame had cracked causing a serious problem.

He was able to repair the welds in short order and get the customer on his way.
The customer was towing a 34' Airstream with slide out cross country.
Terrible to think what could have happened if our hitch guy had not checked it.

Anyway the point is, on a regular basis you need to look under your tow vehicle
and inspect the receiver. Check the bolts where it is mounted to the frame and
look for any signs of compromise of the welds. This seems to be more of a
concern with the factory installed receivers and not the aftermarket major
brands of receivers, but all receivers should be checked on a regular basis.
If you see something that gives you any concerns have it checked further by
someone that does hitches.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had or finds a problem with their
receiver.

Sue Murphy
Iowa Boys
North Hollywood, CA