[VAL] Hitch problems

Gerald:
         I just looked at the Reese site, and found a set of instructions
for a Suburban class IV hitch platform.  They say to tighten 1/2" nutss
(3/4" socket) to 75 ft-lb if they have a lock washer; to 90 ft-lb if they
are lock nuts.  That's all I can find from Reese; I did not look for
pickups or heavy-duty pickups, or class  V platforms..
         If your 3/4" bolts are the actual bolt diameter, then I imagine
the 110 ft-lb that you remember is the correct value to use.  That would
require heavy exertion, probably using legs, at least for me.  My hitch
nuts are fitted with a 3/4" socket; so I presume they are for 1/2" bolts.
         The whole point here is that everyone should try to find out (from
dealer, instructions, Reese, whatever) what the correct torque value is,
and check it out before every extended trip; at least annually as a
minimum.  I typically find one or two of the six nuts will turn a bit
before the torque wrench clicks; so, loose bolts on a receiver is not just
a scare tactic - it's real.

- Dick
(5368)