[VAL] Door hinge placement

Hi Chuck & Lynn:

    After looking at many photos of old Airstreams, I've concluded that
up to 1965, entrance doors were hinged to open away from adjacent
windows.  Most pre-1965 trailers 22' and shorter did not have a window
forward of the door, so the door hinges are on the front side of the
door.  There are exceptions, like early 1960s Safaris and late 1950s
Flying Clouds, which had a window forward of the door, so their doors
usually had rear hinges.  I've only seen one old Airstream whose door
swung into, as opposed to away from, adjacent windows.

    Many, but not all, 24' and longer pre-1965 trailers have windows
forward of the door, so their door typically hinges at the rear.  A
benefit of rear door hinges is that a permanent awning can be mounted;
when the awning is lowered, the door fully swings away from the awning
rail so the door can be secured flush against the trailer.

    Forward hinged doors usually can open only halfway before hitting up
against a near horizontal awning support rail on a permanently mounted
awning.  The old style free standing awnings with poles at the outer
edge of the awning are great because a forward hinged door can be swung
fully open and secured against the trailer.

    Beginning in 1965 and continuing for a while, all Airstreams
regardless of length had the same new style door with a cast frame and
one large center mounted rear door hinge.   Permanent awnings can be
easily used on these trailers.

     As others have mentioned, post your trailer's serial number when
you received it and we'll decode it as to year and model trailer.

Fred Coldwell