[VAL] Patti? Where are you? ? ? re:Rear end dragging

Bill,

I don't doubt a word you've said here.  My tongue was firmly implanted in my
cheek when I said what I did about Patti's "rig".

But, with the long wheelbase of the Suburban 2500 and the short wheelbase of
the Flying Cloud and it's light weight compared to the newer Safari she used
to own I doubt if the bumper drops much, if any, when the Flying Cloud is
hooked up.  I say this *because* IF the Flying Cloud weighs in at 2,000# the
tongue weight "should be" about 15% of the gross weight.  Some say as little
as 10% is good but I like 15% better -- that would only be 300# added to the
rear receiver hitch of the l-o-n-g wheelbase of the Suburban.  And, IF
Patti's Suburban is a 4x4 in addition to the l-o-n-g wheelbase there is even
less chance of the rear of that vehicle lowering itself much if any at all
with just 300# of tongue weight from the Flying Cloud.

I know that our Ford Excursion 4x4 with the Power Stroke diesel doesn't even
budge when I climb in the back end and I'm every bit or more as heavy as you
are.  ;)  Lucky us! ;)

The PowerWagon you refer to is not as long as the Suburban, is it?  I think
your Dodge PowerWagon is similar to my short wheelbase full-sized Ford
Bronco which is set up to tow at least 8,000#, maybe more.  When I look at a
Dodge that is similar to the Ford Bronco 4x4 it "looks to me" like the front
end of the Dodge is raised up in the front a bit.  This may be an optical
illusion but that's the way it appears to me.  I don't know how heavy-duty
the springs are in your Dodge PowerWagon but I'd venture to say that IF
Patti has the 4x4 Suburban she has a much stiffer suspension than you do in
your PowerWagon.

Patti said, I think, that she couldn't even feel the Flying Cloud behind her
Suburban -- and I believe it.  In fact, she recently told me that yes, the
Suburban was "over-kill" for the Flying Cloud but at some point in time she
may want to pull a larger trailer like ours (34' Airstream Classic Front
Kitchen) and she will need that monster truck she's pulling the Flying Cloud
with now. ;)

Oh, Patti?  Where oh where are you?  Let's agree to see what Patti has to
say, Bill.  OK?  Then we can really lay into her about weights, measures,
arms, motion and so much more math. ;)  Patti is a teacher so she better
know her stuff -- this group can be hard on you at times. ;)

Patti?

Tom
WBCCI 530