[VAL] Generator options

Tom

This is the generator I am using:
http://www.dometic.com/node859.asp?Model=TEC%2029
It will be permanently installed in the pick up bed of my crew cab with
exhaust and vent kits fitted - this allows the generator to be ON, but the
vehicle locked and secure.  It has a remote control panel that can be
installed in the trailer, so I can start the geny at night to turn on the
air con, without having to go outside.

Why put the geny in the tow vehicle?  Many reasons.  Most importantly, less
weight in the trailer.  Next most importantly, less noise and vibration in
the trailer.  Thirdly I can have several trailers, but need have only 1
generator.  There's also a 2nd 210Amp/hr battery going in the trailer - for
the same reasons (aside from noise obviously).  The only disadvantages are
more cables/ leads between trailer and tow vehicle, but there are neat
solutions to that (& I am positioning everything to keep the cables as short
as possible).  I've gone for an unleaded generator because my vehicle will
be unleaded, in order to allow an LPG conversion.  I will probably run the
vehicle mainly off LPG with a new large cylindrical vapour tank in the pick
up bed, but retain the existing fuel tank for unleaded as back up and to
supply the generator.

The same principle applies to waste tanks.  In addition to the 95L (approx
23gal) waste and water tanks already installed in the new trailer chassis
(plus there's a 45L black tank), I will have a 95L waste transfer tank on
the tow vehicle and a pillow tank for fresh water.  Again, less weight in
the trailer.  I can boondock and empty all my waste tanks/ fill the fresh
water tank without moving the trailer.

The combination of the above should allow me to 'boondock' almost
indefinitely.  (I'll also have one solar panel to assist with the final 10%
charge of the batteries, to reduce the generator 'on time' requirement).

All these solutions are spec'd down to individual appliances and now on A3
CAD drawings.  Again, I'll be at the WDCU Cherry Blossom Rally (but not with
the trailer) and in due course, when the trailer is fully completed and I
can critique the systems, I'll document everything fully.  But anyone
reading please bear in mind that all these custom solutions are expensive..

Obviously the systems I am using - where mains voltage - are 230V (for use
in Europe), but the principles can be followed using 110V appliances..

Regards

Anthony Slocock