[VAL] Re: awning question (ZIP DEE) Digest #126

David,
Re: removing your Zip-Dee Awning.

 You might CONSIDER NOT REMOVING the CLOTH from the aluminum slot.

And until spring tension is removed......
~~>>>DO NOT REMOVE the square MAIN ARM BARS from the HEAD CASTING*<<<~~ or
you may well need a hand surgeon at least and perhaps a seeing eye dog at
worst.
The tension must be removed with the awning pulled open and held by an
assistant. And believe me you will need the leverage provided by the Main Arm
Bar. To slowly rotate the spring undone (counterclockwise). The spring end of
the tube should be to the rear end of the AWNING/coach.
  * HEAD CASTINGS are the flask shaped caps at each end-top of AWNING ROLL
with "ZIP DEE" cast into them.
If you plan to replace the awning on another Airstream I would surely keep
the whole unit including the Hinged CASE (some call an eyelid).
That would be expensive to replace. and vulnerable & costly to ship.

I would however leave the riveted on AWNING RAIL as a plus to the next owner.
Also as to not have to drill and refill the rivet holes.

the CLOTH is crimped into its channel in the lowest CASE/Eyelid SECTION and
removing it is a bit of a pain and can lead to fatigueing the aluminum
channel. It would I think be wiser to remove the lowest (nearest the CLOTH)
CASE/eyelid section from the one above it.
 This is easy, just remove screws or Rivet head (before 1980) from each end
of the CASE/eyelid section and slide them apart. Then set the awning section
down and remove the remaining CASE/eyebrow sections
(as a group) from the AWNING RAIL.
The highest section is called a FLEX KEY ASSEMBLY and slides into the AWNING
RAIL. There should be a sheet metal screw about 2 inches in at each end of
the FLEX KEY  holding it secure to the CASE/eyelid section below it. You will
need help to slide the CASE/eyelid out of the AWNING RAIL channel.
Then I would re-connect it to the section prior removed including the CLOTH
awning for storage.Ready to be put on your next trailer with just the
addition of a new AWNING RAIL.

I know that spring un-tensioning instructions are at ZIP DEE website and if
you call and talk to Linda Johnson at the plant she will be very glad to walk
you through it. 1-800-338-2378.

++HeX++