[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #113 - More skids?

Usually when a tire goes flat it does not blow into smithereens just from
losing air. Going to shreds is most likely caused by the rim running on a
flat tire.
If the rim is held up so it doesn't grind the tire on the road, the tire
is likely to hold together.
A fire might go out without using an extinguisher but if I used an
extinguisher I likely would say, "Whew! I'm so glad I had an
extinguisher!" not "Probably didn't really need that - shoulda saved my
money!"
Same for the skids. You might get away with several flats with no damage
but if skids save my house from damage or destruction just once I would
think that the extra for buying the skids and carrying them around all
those miles was worth it.
Skids will also save a tire that is going flat more slowly than a
blowout. When the sparks are seen in the mirror it's time to stop. (I'm
sure they make sparks when in contact with the pavement.)
Skids are not a substitute for proper tire care. They will not last long
if used several times. 70 mph of grinding on the road will wear a skid
thru pretty fast.
Al G.