Re: [VAL] hello, and vexing leaks

Chris:

My 72 had water literally pouring down the inside skins and windows during a
rainstorm, and especially with the waterhose test...The awning mounting
tracks were the culprit along with deteriorated seals around the window
frame-to-skin seams.

1.  We removed the awnings, and unriveted the awning strips/tracks...Found
stretched rivets, enlarged holes, duct tape (no vulkem or sealant) between
track and skin, and 'dirty' holes (the aluminum burrs hadn't been cleaned up
before attaching track with rivets).  The movement of the trailer/awning
with wind, road travel, etc. would literally pump water into the holes under
those tracks.  After replacement, with rivet spacing at 4-6 inches rather
than 12+, no more leaks.

2.  The frames around the windows, where attached to the skin also leaked,
but less than the awning tracks.  At the 6 month visit to the dentist, I
always beg a few worn out scalers (the tarter scrapers) to use for picking
the old vulkem/sealers out of those gaps...reseal with lots of fresh vulkem
and the only water problem inside the trailer now is the overly enthusiastic
dish washing splash!

I posted photos of the awning track fix on the Yahoo Groups site at: