[VACList] Recharging Dometic?

My brother has a '75 SOB with darned near the identical Dometic fridge
that's in my '76 TradeWind. His doesn't work; mine does. We figured out
the gas heater in his fridge works, as does the electric heater. (It
occurs to me that "heater" is probably not the technically correct term
here.) So the problem seems to be there's no refrigerant in the fridge.

RV dealer tells him you can't recharge the unit; it's junk. This sounds
fishy and terrifying (have you seen the price on a new one! Yikes!) to
me.

Is the RV dealer right?

Greg Hankins
'76 Trade Wind